Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Thot bubbled #50

'The product is the brand'. I wait for the day when we will have products that don't need brand names to elevate them. The way I see it, nowadays, brands are what make the products seem better than they are. And then there is a no-brand brand called Muji (from Japan). Take the price tag away and there is nothing more than the product to speak for it. It takes commitment, thought and great marketing skills to come up with a product that doesn't need a brand name to sell it. Which brings me to what I think is a tricky question: Do brand names try to gloss over product inadequacies? Apologies for not being clearer. But then, this is an illusion of branding I am trying to unravel and understand. Feel free to jump in. (Google key words: Muji+Businessweek.)

1 comment:

Kaj said...

Aah but Muji is so simple, stylish and distinctive that every product reflects the brand's values.

If the brand values are intrinsic then perhaps the name is just a tag in this case.

BTW I've never seen them do any advertising or promotions. Most I've seen is minimalistic posters in their stores... has anyone else seen any?